REGATRON's TC.ACS Grid Simulators – Flexibility Is Decisive!
With the rapidly growing distribution of electromobility, the development of reliable power grid concepts and grid structures is becoming increasingly important. Learn more about REGATRON's modular, regenerative grid simulator series TC.ACS.
The technical implementation of such structures, the optimisation of dynamic properties, and the testing of safety mechanisms require focused research, training, and comprehensive testing activities at various levels. Today's grid simulators have become the method of choice for investigating the static and dynamic properties of grid structures.
REGATRON was likely the first manufacturer on the world market to introduce a family of particularly versatile grid simulators. A special feature of the TC.ACS family is its remarkably high functionality, as these devices combine a fully four-quadrant-capable powerful grid simulator, a separately usable three-phase AC power amplifier as well as an electronic three-phase load simulator of almost any R-L-C configuration in a compact 19-inch housing. With these functions, the tasks that are important for network investigations and simulations can be handled in a simple and convenient way. The sophisticated internal communication concept allows for the paralleling of TC.ACS units up to system power levels of 2.4 MVA while maintaining the excellent dynamic characteristics.
Increasingly Used: Power Hardware-in-the-loop (P-HIL) Technology
P-HIL technology enables the investigation and testing of "embedded systems" such as planned large networks for the transmission of electrical energy. Instead of physically building such a network, which would require a huge technical effort, the properties of this system are described by a programmable model. The supply of this system is done by a programmable grid simulator, while the load is represented by an electronic load simulator. Both functions – grid simulation and load simulation – are perfectly accomplished by REGATRON's TC.ACS series. Since both the grid simulator and the load simulator are fully programmable, a wide variety of situations such as short circuits, overloads, or even the induced effects of lightning strikes can be simulated and assessed with a high level of significance.
The P-HIL technology has some impressive advantages over the conventional "bottom-up" method. While the latter method requires the entire system to be physically built up without a guarantee of success, which in case of malfunction or instability leads to very high consequential costs due to reconstruction, P-HIL offers the best possible prospect for the correct dimensioning of all components of the system in advance. In designing the TC.ACS series, REGATRON has paid special attention to short system time constants from the very beginning, both in signal processing and in the output inverter section. An innovative multi-level architecture of the output inverter, in conjunction with highly sophisticated driver and communication technologies, enables system response times of some 25 µsec. This provides correct and meaningful simulation results even in the case of fast aperiodic processes.
REGATRON's field-proven TC.ACS grid simulators meet all requirements for the outlined applications and are characterized by the following features:
- Extremely short response times to the signals of the embedded model of some 25 µsec
- Versatile application software GridSim, which enables fast and differentiated programming of the most varied test scenarios
- Very simple settings for frequencies and voltages, asymmetries and dips of voltages
- Fourier tool: Preselection of harmonic voltages up to the 100th harmonic (50 Hz)
- Independent variation of individual phase angles
- Fundamental frequency up to 1 kHz, modulation frequencies up to 5 kHz
- Compact 19-inch power units with nominal power of 30 or 50 kVA
- Technologically advanced, fast switching, compact 19-inch grid simulator
- Full power regeneration and a high degree of efficiency, resulting in significant reduction of energy consumption and heat dissipation, low acoustic noise
- Versatile 3-in-1 simulation & test equipment:
- Grid simulator, 3-phase, 4-wire, with 3 individually programmable outputs
- Full 4-quadrant regenerative 1...3-phase power amplifier CV/CC (for P-HIL)
- Regenerative AC electronic load, 1...3-phase, 4-wire (programmable RLC-load)
- Modular and easily field-expandable systems, up to 2.4 MVA
- Simple master-slave configuration by means of the operating and service software ACSControl
- Turn-key cabinet solutions available, mobile or stationary
- Optional project-specific system integration according to customer specifications
- Safety features such as 2-channel safety interface, performance level PL c / PL e according to EN ISO 13849
- Optional third party product integration, AC connectors, and cables for convenient handling
- Operating and service software ACSControl: Powerful 8-channel digital scope, extended analysis, parameterization options, and calibration
- Powerful application programming interfaces (API)
- Optional CAN multi-protocol interface with 1 kHz message cycle time, adaptable to any proprietary CAN bus
- Optional control unit HMI with intuitive colour touch screen.
For more information, price quotes and details about REGATRON's products, please contact our Product Line Manager